Wednesday, March 20, 2013

MAGIC CARPET



Photographed above are Mirth's tribal, wool-pile rugs from Afghanistan. The stunning, deep red and navy blue hues pop against the citronella wall. Today, inspired by the rugs, I regress to and reconnect with fond memories from my past.

As a child, I watched Aladdin. The enchanting animation filled me with ideas of romance, adventure and a longing to escape to the more exotic corners of the world. My siblings and I invented new games imagined on the oriental carpet placed in our living room. At the ages of 4, 5 and 6 we were mostly intrigued by the world Aladdin and Princess Jasmine shared, tangible in the imagination but abstract from reality and lodged centuries ago in history. It is acceptable and even encouraged to dwell in the imagination during childhood.

A decade later, the magic carpet returned to me in the backseat of my father's '87 Mercedes...twisting, floating and feeling our way through the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Steppenwolf's smash hit, "Magic Carpet Ride," blared from the speakers. "I like to dream, yes, yes. Right between the sound machine. On a cloud of sound I drift in the night. Any place it goes is right. Goes far, flies near to the stars away from here..." Steppenwolf's lyrics and catchy guitar melodies reached me in the same way Aladdin once had. In the backseat, window rolled down and wind in hair, I remember taking in the wetness of the woodsy, river air, thinking simultaneously of the adventures I would have in the future, the people I would meet, the loves I would share, the lovers I would enjoy and perhaps lose. My future was written in the stars and all I could do was wait; sixteen years old, still foggy from dreaming.

Another decade later, I am not so dreamy. Reality found me and life happened during the time I was waiting. The magic carpet, however, still embodies a special sentiment felt during my ride from childhood to adulthood... a sentiment worth revisiting and indulging from time to time. Today, I encourage you to rekindle the relationship with your inner child. Leave work early, play guitar, eat an ice cream cone, hold hands, be dramatic, express yourself! And if by chance, my heart-filled anecdote about the magic carpet doesn't touch you :), this Wooden Toy Top will?


-Jessica for Mirth


No comments:

Post a Comment