Saturday, March 23, 2013

HYDRANGEA & SYMBOL

Inspired by Mirth's newest additions--fresh-cut hydrangeas in a variety of blue and cream, I thought it might be fun to explore the symbolism and associations of these lovely flowers.

My grandmother Ruby had a heavenly blue-violet variety of hydrangeas growing in abundance below the wide windows of her Louisiana home when I was young. If I shut my eyes, I am immediately transported back to those warm, humid-soft days my sisters and I spent at her house in the summer; long blades of jewel green grass between our toes, finding shade beneath the leafy fingers of the old Spanish oak rooted in the front lawn. Hydrangea blooms bring games of  hide 'n' seek, ice cream trucks, and eating figs right off the tree. Yet, they are also a reminder of Ruby's southern elegance, her kindness, compassion, and fiery resolve. She is now gone, but I will always associate the flowers she tended so lovingly with her incredible spirit.

When seeking the traditional symbolism of hydrangeas, I found varied meanings. A cynical few suggest, due to its lavish beauty, the flower can imply vanity or boastfulness. However, most seem to regard its extraordinary clusters of small, star-shaped flowers as a symbol of bounty, gratitude, and friendship. The root is also said to have many magical properties, and has been used in witches' brews, elixirs, and alchemical potions (please don't try this at home).

Magic, beauty, and gratitude? This time of the year is a particularly profound one, whether you celebrate the Spring Equinox, Passover, or Easter (or all of them!), for sweeping away the dead and dusty things, cleaning out your cave, and sowing new seeds. Why not give a bouquet of hydrangeas to a friend or family member who has helped you out, or who is always there when you need him/her?

-Ariele for Mirth

No comments:

Post a Comment