Thursday, August 1, 2013

MANUALS




Yesterday morning, a dear friend dropped in to visit me at Mirth. While she was here, we looked over the instruction manual for the Japanese mandolin. We both found the manual to be particularly engaging for its pictures, character and multiple languages.  As stated above, 'manual's powers combined would mean instructions for how to work something with your hands. 

Thick manuals that accompany large household items, cameras and such are often overwhelming. I would rather an object's utility be apparent, but as we graced the folded instruction pages for the Japanese Mandolin, I indulged in the idea of a personal human manual. 

At age 25, nothing is apparent. Every day seems to bring a life lesson, a f**k up or a desire to unf**k something up. If my internal manual were a material object, it would be covered in edits and slashed with red ink. The process is frustrating and sort of beautiful. The beauty lies in the concept of humans' shared experience and the frustration, perhaps, because we are ultimately individuals, independent of others and quite literally alone (sans manual) with our personal challenges and triumphs. 

I prefer to have a confidant by my side, a sidekick, a soundboard, a partner in crime and witness to my life--even in the hard times...especially in the hard times! Despite my fervor for companionship, guidance and love and in regards to my detestation of hardships, I am, nevertheless, perfectly capable of navigating uncertainty and manually maneuvering my way into the light. 

This is to say that the Japanese Mandolin needs a pair of hands to cut the vegetables. 

-Jessica for Mirth

No comments:

Post a Comment